Users can free up space on their Apple Watch by following simple steps. Apple has optimized the software so that watchOS doesn't store large temporary files and junk during a session. The software is designed to dump old system files and temporary files from time to time, so you don't have any of the cleanup options available in watchOS. Freeing up storage on the Watch can result in the loss of a user's saved data, and we'll look at that option as well.
How to check detailed watch storage report on iPhone or iPad?
Watch owners can use their iPhone or iPad to see how much memory is left and what is taking up most of the device's memory. Follow the instructions to see storage capacity and see what content is taking up the most storage capacity.
Find storage capacity:
- Tap to open the dedicated Apple Watch app.
- Press “General” settings.
- Click on “O” continue.
- Now view the watch's total capacity, available storage, music and photos stored on the device.
Find a detailed storage report:
- Tap to open the dedicated Apple Watch app.
- Click on “General” settings.
- Press “usage” continue.
- When using, you saved the data filtered under Music, Podcasts, Photos, Camera, etc.
Now you can keep track of what content is taking up a lot of space on your watch without having to manually search for it. Spend some time with the Watch app because it offers advanced features to help users manage storage.
Limit photos saved to Apple Watch
I don't recommend that readers save photos to the Watch. Apple has increased the maximum storage capacity by 500 times compared to the original iPhone or iPad. A powerful camera captures a masterpiece, but requires a lot of memory. Luckily, you can force the Watch to only save a few photos on the device and let us show you how.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click on “My watch” is located at the bottom.
- To choose “Photos» from the main screen.
- Swipe down and tap “Synchronized Album” continue.
- Click on “Photo from iPhone/iPad” continue.
- Choose one option and the watch will no longer save photos above the marked number.
Apple Watch allows users to choose from 25 photos, 100 photos, 250 photos, and 600 photos. The newer iPhones have better cameras, which doesn't mean they will compress photos in the Watch. It's better to leave unwanted photos on your iOS device.
Remove installed apps
You shouldn't take installed apps lightly because they keep cache and related files in watch. Always check the list to remove unused apps from the device because it will save at least 100MB. Monthly cleaning is a good habit in our opinion and you should do it to keep your watch clean.
- Press the digital crown and access the watch's main screen.
- Make the icons move in a grid pattern.
- Drag the app to the trash.
- You can do this multiple times to remove multiple apps from Watch.
Delete Old Messages on Apple Watch
Delete old conversations or delete topics you no longer need on Watch. We know it's manual work and it will take time, but it's worth saving some space when you have unnecessary conversations on your device.
- Open”Messages” in Watch.
- Find topics you no longer need in the Watch.
- Swipe left on a branch to see more options, and then click the Delete button.
- The software will dump the stream into the trash and you will save space on your device.
Remember that none of the conversations are recoverable, so you should keep this in mind when you clean your watch. You can create a local storage backup with iTunes, which is convenient for restoring old data.
Delete songs on Apple Watch
Music is the daily drive for millions of media consumers around the world. The average size of a two-minute song is around 5–10 MB depending on the quality. Many users have at least 50 songs on Watch that take up at least 250MB of storage. You can save a lot of space if you delete old music from your Apple Watch.
- Open”Music» in hours.
- Swipe the album from the left side to open the options.
- Click the ellipsis icon.
- Press “Delete” button.
- The album has been removed from the Watch.
You can do the same with every track and delete old songs from your device. You can always download them back to Watch, so don't worry about losing track.
Delete Audiobooks/Podcasts on Apple Watch
Audiobooks are a great source of knowledge and entertainment for millions of media consumers. Many users don't delete Audiobooks they no longer need, but you should pay attention to them. Podcasts have a large file size and take up space on the watch's memory, and deleting them will free up storage.
- Open the Clock app.
- Select “My watch“located at the bottom.
- Click on “audiobooks” and select one book you want to remove from Watch.
- Swipe left on an audiobook and tapDelete” button.
The audiobook is removed from Apple Watch and you can repeat the same process until all unnecessary files are removed. stop”I am reading now and want to read” on Apple Watch because it automatically syncs books to your device.
Apple is working on adding more storage to future watch models. The Watch Series 6 has a maximum capacity of 32GB and you will see capacity increase in many future models as demand grows. You can free up space on your Apple Watch by deleting media and other content from your device. Apple has optimized the watchOS software so you don't have to clear apps to free up space.